Here are some ideas for educational exhibits at your Open House offering.
Tell 'em your story!
- Have a poster, display table, skit, etc. with photos and info on how your project was created.
- Have a 'thank you' poster/display about the businesses, farmers, and volunteers who have supported your project. Your students could create thank you cards/drawings/artwork for them as well.
- Let them know how they can help!
- Have your volunteer coordinator available to encourage signups.
Tell 'em about school gardens and why they're the tops.
- Have displays of student garden-centered work.
- Have students make posters, or even give a talk about, the part of the garden project they liked the most.
- Let a teacher or curriculum specialist make a display or give a talk about integrating the garden into the curriculum.
- Have a display of easy, kid-friendly snacks that your students made from the garden.
- Bring in a chef, nutritionist or medical professional to talk about the value of fresh, local food on health and nutrition.
- Find a local farmer or agricultural specialist willing to talk about farming as a career.
- Show what your cafeteria served for Maine Harvest Lunch week, and display some of the classroom lessons or projects that were part of this curriculum. Highlight the local farms that supplied the food.
Get 'em gardening at home.
- Get resources from this page of Cooperative Extension publications.
- Have a visiting expert from a local garden club, a local nursery, your Cooperative Extension office, or a Master Gardener give a talk about some aspect of gardening.
- Have a display of veggies, flowers and herbs in containers.
- Have garden tools and a demo area in your garden where people can try them out! You might get some volunteer help from this too....
<a href="https://www.msgn.org/school-garden-open-house/">CLICK HERE for more information on this year's School Garden Open House</a>
Consider hosting an Open House during <a href="https://www.msgn.org/maine-harvest-lunch-week/">Maine Harvest Lunch Week</a> this year!
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScsp4lJtJiv5KPSsveTCaL8vsYLt9YIhzqKLm6ftMi0hs5gIw/viewform?embedded=true" width="350" height="500" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">Loading...</iframe>