Thinking about starting a school garden project?
Not sure where to begin? Check out these resources!
Here is a concise outline of steps for starting an educational garden, created by University of Maine Cooperative Extension educators:
These sites have free information you can download on creating and maintaining a school garden:
- School Garden Wizard
- Life Lab Science Program
- California School Garden Network
- Master Gardeners in San Diego, CA
- Annie’s Homegrown How to Start a Garden Guide
- Cornell’s Garden-Based Learning. Provides a list of benefits associated with school gardens and links research to support your project.
- Also provides a guide to starting a garden and press packet materials to help you gain support form your community. Amazing resource!
- School Garden Checklist, get started with help from Let’s Move!
- Garden Planning Checklist, covers beginning stages of planning, budgeting and fundraising.
Your local University of Maine Cooperative Extension office (in each county) can be a great help, as they have educators on staff, and they also run the Master Gardener program.
Also see our Quick Start to A School Garden page for more resources. Have fun and get growing!