During this challenging time of unknowns, MSGN is doing our best to organize our response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We’re taking steps to alter our programming and compile resources that our network of school gardens will find helpful. Continue reading to learn about the ways MSGN is adapting to this evolving situation:
School gardens are staying connected with us virtually. MSGN is hosting virtual meetings where school gardeners can connect with one another and our team of supporters. Our response is evolving; as we’re hearing from school garden leadership what is most pressing at this moment, our team is compiling the resources to support these needs.
- Our first Zoom meetings took place Wednesday, April 1 from 11:00a – 12:30p and Thursday, April 2 from 3:00p – 4:30p. Notes from these calls are available here: Weds 4/1, Thurs 4/2.
- Our second Zoom meetings took place Wednesday, April 29 from 11:00a – 12:30p and Thursday, April 30 from 3:00 – 4:30p. Topic: Garden Care & Management. Notes from these calls are available here: Weds 4/29, Thurs 4/30.
- Upcoming Zoom Meetings
- Wednesday 5/20 11am – 12:30pm
- Thursday 5/21 NOTE: TIME CHANGE 6:00 – 7:00pm in partnership with the University of Maine Cooperative Extension’s Garden Chats series
- Topic: Maintaining Safety – Garden Protocols & Managing Volunteers
- Anyone interested in attending are also welcome to email email@example.com to have the link sent to them directly.
- MSGN is soliciting input in this Strategies for Remote School Garden Engagement document. A living document, our network is invited to provide resources or tips they may have to assist others at this time. Topics include safety, videos, curricula, as well as others. Please contribute to this share document, or just take some tips from it!
- Our spring programs are suspended. School visits and in-person technical assistance is suspended for the time being. Any visits our team had planned with your school are on hold at this time, though we will revisit these plans with you and hopefully be back in the school gardens this fall.
- Maine School Garden Day for 2020 is cancelled. Our annual conference will not be taking place this year as planned. However, do save the date for next year’s event, happening on the same weekend at the same location, just a year later! See you at Reeds Brook Middle School on Saturday, May 1, 2021. Read more on the Maine School Garden Day page on our website.
Please stay connected with us. Reach out to MSGN personnel directly – firstname.lastname@example.org – and we’ll try to help as best we can!